Student Athletic Trainer Protocol for Prescott High School
Athletic training is a part of the Sports Medicine Profession that requires hard work and dedication, resulting in many extra-curricular hours both during and after school. The certified Athletic Trainer, or ATC, is a highly educated and skilled professional whose specialty is in sports related healthcare. As a sports medicine professional and expert, the ATC works under the direction of a licensed physician and in cooperation with other health care professional. The purpose of this document is to outline the policies and procedures for Athletic Training Students within the Athletic Training Department at Prescott High School.
5 Domains of Athletic Training
- Prevention of athletic injury
- Recognition, evaluation, and immediate care of athletic injuries
- Rehabilitation of athletic injuries through the use of exercise or modalities.
- Recognition of general medical conditions
- Organization and administration of the athletic training room
Students who wish to participate in the athletic training program must follow the guidelines outlined in this document to ensure the integrity of the program. Students must agree to abide by any rules set forth in this document or set by the athletic trainer. Failure to follow the rules, may result in a separation of the sports medicine student from the athletic training room. For an athletic training student to participate, the student and their parent must read and sign this document and turn in the form found at the end.
- Only injured students, athletic training aids, coaches, and physicians are allowed in the athletic training room. (Exceptions may be made for witness or parental purposes)
- Athletes and students must abide by a dress code. Athlete’s must have a shirt on at all times. Athlete’s must be wearing non-revealing clothing, especially but not limited to shorts that are revealing even when the athlete is in any position for treatments and evaluations.
- Students in the athletic training room must stay consistent with Prescott High School policy. Use of alcohol, tobacco, or drugs will result in appropriate disciplinary action and likely removal from the program.
- Arrive promptly when expected to be in the athletic training room. (Daily attendance is not optional during 7th hour if the student is listed as a T.A.)
- Athletes cannot perform self-treatment with modalities. (Ultra-sound, STIM, ect.)
- Athletes are not allowed in the athletic training room without supervision.
- Athletes cannot administer treatments to themselves during their scheduled hours
- Only PHS (and traveling team) athletes can receive treatment’s and only if it happened as a result of a PHS sport. Taping for a traveling team is at the Athletic Trainers discretion.
Athletic Training students can/must do the following
- Maintain daily records of treatment
- Assist in prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries
- Assist in cleaning of the athletic training room
- Set up fields with necessary equipment
- Clean up equipment after events
- Must maintain confidentiality of athletes and medical conditions (Follow HIPAA)
- Adhere to policies and procedures listed in this document
General Responsibilities and Expectations
- Laundry retrieving and folding
- Restocking tables and cabinets
- Cleaning possibly infected surfaces
- Cleaning bottles/coolers
- Cleaning the ice bath
- Prepare water/ice for games and practices
- Preventative taping. (finger tapes, wrist tapes, ect.)
- Preventative stretching
- Immediate care (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation)
- Wound care
- Basic instruction of exercises
- Aid with emergency splinting (If necessary)
- Documentation of any tasks
- Calling 911 (If necessary, but likely this will be dedicated to a coach or administrator)
PHS Sports Medicine Students should not perform the following tasks:
- More difficult post injury tape jobs such as ankle taping. (Exceptions may be made for minor injuries and only if directly supervised.)
- Evaluation of acute injuries to determine the status of an athlete
- Application of therapeutic modalities. (Electronic Stimulation, Ultrasound, Etc.)
- Prescription of therapeutic exercises or treatment
- Return to activity decisions
Though these jobs may seem trivial, they are very important for proper operation of the athletic training room.
Students must demonstrate the following qualities
Dependability, dedication, honesty, friendliness, professionalism, confidentiality, punctuality and hard work.
Please note: There will be times that the Certified Athletic Trainer is not present in the athletic training room due to sports travel, sickness, or any other absence. In this event, the athletic training student is expected to go to the main office to check in and/or work on school work, as a substitute Athletic Trainer is not provided. Prescott High School and the Certified Athletic Trainer does not adopt the liability of an event that happens as a result of a sports medicine student not being present in the Athletic Training Room for any reason.
Phone usage should be limited to an emergency only, or anything pertaining to athletic training.
Athletic Training Students will have the Athletic Trainers cell-phone number and vice versa, as this is deemed the best method of communication in many scenarios. A parent is welcome to be included in all text threads if requested. Texting between the athletic training student and the athletic trainer will be professional and only pertain to athletic training related circumstances.
Please initial this area if you would like to be included in the text threads between the Student Athletic Trainer and the Certified Athletic Trainer_____________________
Athletic Training students may travel with permission from the parent. If the student would like to travel to a game or back home in any manor aside from the normal bus, a transportation release form must be signed, which can be found on https://prescottbadgers.com/transportation-release-form/. Sports Medicine Students will only be able to travel if space permits.
- PHS Athletic Trainer: __________________________________________________
- PHS Athletic Trainer Signature: _________________________________________
- Date: _____________________
- PHS Athletic Training Student: _________________________________________________
- PHS Athletic Training Student Signature: _________________________________________
- Date: _____________________
- Parent or Guardian Name: ________________________________________________________
- Parent or Guardian Signature: _____________________________________________________
- Date: _________________________________